Over the last few weeks I have following the news of India's Mars mission with much interest. I have been reading articles in different news papers, following debates and have been intrigued by how much mankind has progressed.
While there is a section of a society that debates if India should invest such amounts of money in sending a rocket to Mars given that a large section of its population is still in poverty, I tend to disagree. For poverty should not hold back science and invention. There will always be poverty in the world and no amount of money or investment will get rid of it. Science triggers inventions and inventions trigger betterment of human race. Besides at a cost of just £45 million this is the cheapest inter planetary mission in the world.
The budget for UK planned HS2 rail network itself is in the region of £60 billion. Call that efficiency or something else, but it also opens new avenues for 'space business' - low cost outsourcing of rocket launches, satellites, missions.
From childhood I have been very much fascinated by astronomy, outer space and our solar system. Being an astronaut would have been a dream come true. Alas I have to just manage with fervent passion for all things space.
The magnanimity and infinity and the emptiness of space makes us feel so insignificant. It changes the entire game and makes me question why do people fight on issues like religion, caste, race. Space makes us realise that eventually we all are just a structure of atoms.
I am all for space exploration, going beyond the unknown and if there are more like us.
While there is a section of a society that debates if India should invest such amounts of money in sending a rocket to Mars given that a large section of its population is still in poverty, I tend to disagree. For poverty should not hold back science and invention. There will always be poverty in the world and no amount of money or investment will get rid of it. Science triggers inventions and inventions trigger betterment of human race. Besides at a cost of just £45 million this is the cheapest inter planetary mission in the world.
The budget for UK planned HS2 rail network itself is in the region of £60 billion. Call that efficiency or something else, but it also opens new avenues for 'space business' - low cost outsourcing of rocket launches, satellites, missions.
From childhood I have been very much fascinated by astronomy, outer space and our solar system. Being an astronaut would have been a dream come true. Alas I have to just manage with fervent passion for all things space.
The magnanimity and infinity and the emptiness of space makes us feel so insignificant. It changes the entire game and makes me question why do people fight on issues like religion, caste, race. Space makes us realise that eventually we all are just a structure of atoms.
I am all for space exploration, going beyond the unknown and if there are more like us.
No comments:
Post a Comment